TLDR: Shaving your facial hair makes you look younger and will knock off a few years of your real age. A beard, goatee, and mustache will age you by 3 to 10 years.
Fact! Santa Clause is just 35 years old. Why does he look like a 60 years old man? It’s the beard. No one wants to get older, yet it’s inevitable. It’s not the end of the world. With simple few hacks, you can reverse the clock and get the youthful glow back.
Note: I wrote an article about the best electric razor for an elderly man. Check it from here.
How does age change your face?
Aging is the changes that happen to your body due to the weak ability or the failure of organs to do their job. Your face is no exception here.
Collagen and elastin are the major players in the skin’s youthful appearance. They strengthen your skin, keep it stretchy, and give it the glowing look.
As we age, the skin loses its elasticity because collagen and elastin fibers become weaker. So, the skin tends to be thinner, drier, and more sensitive to nicks and cuts.
In this way, shaving for an elderly man turns into a bummer. It would increase the risks of ingrown hair and irritation.
Does shaving age your face?
ٍThe opposite is true. Shaving practice has its great benefits regarding skin wellness, albeit its minor pitfalls.
Didn’t you notice before the beauty of Japanese woman’s skin? Sure, a healthy lifestyle and diet contribute to that flawless look. Yet women in Japan have a popular skincare routine called “Kao Sori”.
This technique is all about the removal of facial hair (peach fuzz) with a straight razor. They believe that it induces collagen production and maximizes moisturizer absorption.
The former model Rachel Hunter mentioned that it helps exfoliate the skin as well as helping the beauty products go into the skin to get a smoother and shinier look.
- Close shaving is a great method to exfoliate which means wiping the dead skin cells out. This helps in opening the clogged pores and gives you a bright look. It also facilitates the penetration of skincare products.
- It boosts blood circulation. More blood supply to an organ enhances the tissue repair process. This will slow down premature aging and wrinkles.
- Fact! A clean-shaven face makes you look younger. A British study published in Behavioral Ecology Journal stated that facial hair increases your perceived age. Another study was more precise. It revealed that a beard adds 10 years to your age. A mustache or a goatee age you by 5 years. Even a light stubble makes you look 3 years older. It also increases the perceived size of the jawline.
- Shaving creams, gels, and lotions that contain soap might cause skin damage and expedite aging. The soaps have an alkaline detergent that manipulates the natural skin acidity. The good news here that this effect is neglectable compared to the benefits.
- Out of scope, it’s worth mentioning that it may cause post-shave depression. It’s real. Some people experience a kind of regret and grief after losing their beard.
So Is shaving anti-aging?
Shaving itself isn’t considered anti-aging, yet it’s a good idea to shave your face as you gain the enormous benefits of it. It shaves off a few years of your real age. It also will clean up your skin and give you the perfect healthy look.
Does shaving reduce wrinkles?
Shaving might help in delaying wrinkles and line formation, yet it has a minor role. However, it can’t reverse or reduce wrinkles and sagging once it happens.
Some people relate between shaving and the fact that elderly men have fewer lines. But, the truth is men’s skin is thicker compared to women’s skin. The hormonal set also plays a crucial role over here.
How can I make my face look younger?
To make your face look younger, you need to follow these tips.
- Commit to a clean shave. If you can’t live without a beard, keep it short on both sides and long on the bottom. This will make you look younger.
- Get rid of unwanted hair. You need to manscape the places of body hair that get out of control. Tame the long hairs of your eyebrows with a scissor or use a pair of tweezers to pluck them. Ask your barber to trim your ear and nose hair or do it yourself using a nose trimmer. For the rest of your body, you have plenty of options. You can use wax for total hair removal, shave it, or even leave it unshaved
- Get a neat haircut. Keep it short and avoid a ponytail. An entirely shaved head is your best bet if you have male pattern baldness or a receding hairline. I don’t recommend using hair growth products as they require a long-term commitment and the results would disappear once you stop.
- Gray hair with a perfect hairstyle is super-attractive. However, if you don’t like the grays, you can tone them down with a suitable color. You can also use a color camouflage service to properly blend the grays with the black hair.
- Make sure to use natural skin care products that are free from alkaline detergents ( mostly sodium laureth sulphate/ SLS). Opt for solutions that have natural oils like jojoba, argan, and sweet almond oils.
- Go for professional dermaplanning. It gives you advanced exfoliation compared to traditional shaving. It’s also more efficient for removing wispy facial hair (vellus hair).
- Wear sunscreen and add moisturizer to your daily routine. That will preserve your skin youth.
Can a beard make you look younger?
No way. Although beards are on fire nowadays, wearing a beard will make you look 10 years older according to science. A clean shave will give you a youthful look. If you prefer facial hair, keep the sides short with a long bottom.
Does stubble make you look older?
True. Stubble or any sort of facial hair makes you look older. A study revealed that stubble adds extra 3 years to your age
Why do I look weird after shaving my mustache?
If you notice you look different after shaving your mustache, you’re far from alone. The skin above your upper lip is super sensitive. It might get swollen during shaving. Also shaving your facial hair makes you look younger. These 2 things make you look weird and a bit kiddie.