TL;DR: Can I use Nair on my balls? No, please don’t do this. Even the most sensitive formulas of Nair would get you a chemical burn, red sore balls, and irritation. There are more gentle depilatories that are safer than Nair to use on your balls.
From all the body grooming methods, is Nair REALLY the easiest way to remove hair from balls?
It’s an extremely tempting idea. Put a teeny tiny portion of that hair removal cream on your pubic hair and voila, you get silky smooth balls without nicks or ingrown hair.
Unfortunately, it’s not that simple.
If you’re not a fan of shaving your testicular hair and thinking about using Nair on your balls, hang on with me. You will discover whether Nair is safe on your balls or you need another option.
Let’s get started!
How does Nair work on pubic hair?
Nair cream weakens and breaks down the bonds between keratin fibers (protein fibers of your pubic hair). Then you can wipe the unwanted hair away. Nair only works on the hair above the skin (hair shaft). Unlike the waxing or sugaring method, Nair (and other depilatories) doesn’t remove the hair from the root (hair follicle).
Side note: Nair is a brand of hair removal cream that we used to name any other depilatory cream after its name. So we are discussing here how Nair and other depilatories work.
To give you a better understanding of how Nair works on your male private parts, you need to know its ingredients.
Nair has a myriad of products with different formulas and uses. Yet, all these SKUs have the same active ingredients with various additives. Here are the active ingredients:
- a base of calcium, sodium, or potassium hydroxide.
- salts of thioglycolic acid such as calcium thioglycolate or potassium thioglycolate.
The base has 2 major roles. It facilitates the mission of salts by opening the hair shaft. So the thioglycolate salts can penetrate the hair fibers. It also activates the thioglycolate.
Once the thioglycolate is active, it deconstructs the hair protein’s sulfur bonds. That’s why Nair has a rotten egg or fireworks smell. Now, the hair is broken down and you can wipe it away.
Other ingredients define whether the formula is suitable for use on men’s genitals or not. Worry not, I will discuss these ingredients in more detail later on. Here are examples of the common additives in Nair
- cetyl alcohol
- sodium silicate solution
- calcium carbonate
- sodium lauryl sulfate
Side note: Nair, Veet, and other chemical depilatories don’t dissolve synthetic fibers like polyester and cotton. This means they are safe on your clothes and underwear.
Is Nair safe for balls?
On a safety scale from 1 to 10, I would give Nair Hair Remover Glides Away (the most gentle formula between Nair products) 6. So, it’s not 100% safe to use on your nuts. This is the short answer.
All Nair products contain both calcium hydroxide (lime) and sodium hydroxide (lye). Those chemical products act as penetration enhancers for thioglycolate by increasing the pH to 11-12.5. That decreases the depilation time so you can remove the hair faster. This is a great feature for men with curly and coarse hair.
Side note: The pH of Nair™ Sensitive Bikini Cream is 12.3 – 12.9, according to its material safety data sheet (MSDS).
The problem that your skin can only handle pHs 3.5–8.5. Higher pHs cause skin irritation, redness, soreness, and even chemical burn.
The previous rules apply to your regular body skin. So, you can guess the risks of applying Nair to your most sensitive areas!
Don’t take my words for granted. You can check Nair’s Amazon customer reviews and hear the blood-curdling screams of poor men who trusted Nair on their balls.
Nair itself states in their safety information guide “ Do not use on face, around eyes, in the nose, in ears, on breast nipples, perianal area, or vaginal/genital areas”. You can see this warning on any Nair’s bottle even on Nair Sensitive Bikini Cream!
Simply put, Nair is harsher than other men’s pubic hair removal creams. It might leave you with red sore balls for a few days.
Does Nair hurt your balls?
Yes, Nair could hurt your balls. Nair can leave your balls numb with a stinging and burning sensation. Before applying it to your groin area, remember it might ruin your date or put your manhood out of production for about a week. Your balls are super sensitive, so there is no chance for such a gamble down there.
Don’t get me wrong! Nair is a good product. It’s only not the best men’s pubic hair removal cream. It’s highly effective for personal hair removal of your chest, leg, or back hair.
Because all skin is not created equal, some men praised the experience of Nair on their balls. They reported that they had a smooth shave with no burning pain or redness.
Nair warnings & precautions
If you still insist on nairing your balls. Take this precaution into your consideration
- Do a patch test before use. Nair or any other male depilatories may cause an allergic reaction. As a result, you may experience blisters, itchy rashes, stinging, burns, and skin peeling.
- Don’t warm up the body hair remover.
- Don’t shower before the ritual. Your scrotum must be dry.
- Don’t let it set on there for a long time. I recommend starting with 3-4 minutes and testing the results.
- Prepare a damp, cold towel to remove the cream and the hair immediately if you feel stinging or burn. Don’t use a plastic spatula.
- Scoop up 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick of Nair and don’t rub it or reapply. That would decrease the risk of irritation or chemical burn.
- Use an acidic lotion to neutralize the alkaline nature of Nair.
- Apply Hydrocortisone cream, Neosporin, petroleum jelly as Nair on balls burn treatment. In case you feel a burn, use this guide to get rid of Nair’s rash.
- Wash your hands and your junk with cold water after you’re done.
- Avoid applying the soap to your skin. It would worsen the irritation.
- Store it locked up and keep it away from your children’s hands.
- Never apply a male depilatory cream on damaged, infected, sunburned, or stressed skin.
How often can you Nair?
The manufacturer recommends waiting 72 hours after each application.
Is Nair bad for tattoos?
No, Nair and other genital hair removal creams don’t affect or damage your tattoo.
Now, before I move to Nair’s alternatives, let’s discuss what makes a good men’s hair removal cream.
How to choose a safe hair removal cream to use on the pubic area?
Shiny globes are a surefire way to impress your partner. Yet, bear in mind, you must play it safe. Plenty of men’s depilatories might be causative to some extent. So, you should watch out and choose wisely. Here’s how you can decide:
Most hair removal creams have a sensitive skin formula’s version. Usually, these formulas are dedicated to tender bits and genital areas.
Gentle formula! It’s a vague name. How could you know it’s gentle?
Okay, These steps may help you to know.
- It’s preferred for the typical genital removal cream to contain ONLY one penetration enhancer ( calcium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide) not both.
- Calcium thioglycolate ingredient is gentler and less irritating than sodium and potassium alternatives. Yet, it needs more time to do the job.
- Ingredients like urea and dimethyl isosorbide accelerate the depilation time without increasing the pH. This means less contact with the skin without increased aggressiveness.
- Look for a formula that has more natural ingredients.
- Hydrating ingredients can soothe the burn and give you a more comfortable experience.
- Lowe pHs means that the formula is more forgiving to your skin. To be honest, the majority of products I’ve researched have a pH of 12 or more. Yet, any small differences translate to a remarkable improvement in skin comfort.
Here’s a little hack I use all the time to get these details about any given product: type the name of the product + “ MSDS” on Google or your favorite search engine. This will give you a PDF that contains all the needed data.
I read guides on the internet that say that less application time mentioned on the brand equals more comfort.
This rule is not right all the time. Longer application time may be an indicator that the formula is weaker and more suitable for sensitive skin. That’s right! Yet, some advanced formulas have a good balance between application time and comfort.
Notice that the less needed time means less contact with your skin and minimum irritation as a result. So it may be a blessing or a curse.
It’s good to keep an eye on the application time. Yet, It’s better to follow a more holistic approach and assess the whole formula.
Opt for male pubic hair removal cream that contains hydrating agents such as Shea butter, chamomile, and Aloe Vera.
Hydrating agents have 2 major roles in the male depilatory cream:
- Ingredients like ethanol, DMSO, and peppermint oil increase the permeability of thioglycolate and decrease pH at the same time. So the formula is smoother on your balls by decreasing hair removal time and contact with corrosive chemicals.
- The hydrating agents will cool down your hot skin and soothe the burning sensation of the hair-dissolving chemicals. They all also moisturize your skin to decrease the risk of redness, irritation, and burn injury
Examples of common dehydrating agents:
- Paraffin oil
- Aloe Vera
- Camellia oleifera leaf extract ( works also as anti-inflammatory)
- Sunflower seed oil ( emollient and antioxidant)
- Volcanic ash ( antiseptic, antibacterial, and heals the inflamed skin)
- Shea butter
- Castor oil
- Coconut oil
How to use a men’s depilatory cream on your balls?
Your technique is super vital. It is what will determine whether you succeed in your hair removal mission or resort back to shave your nuts with a disposable razor or an electric trimmer.
Side note: You might be interested to read my articles about Meridian vs Manscaped.
Follow these steps meticulously and you’re golden.
1.Read the instructions thoroughly.
Every pubic hair remover has a unique set of instructions that you need to stick to it. You need to know the suggested application time and whether to use it before or after the shower.
I recommend applying the cream before the shower. But who knows the formula better than its manufacturer!
Pay special attention to the warnings and how-to-use sections. The few minutes spent in reading these procedures may get you hairless balls with no unpleasant incidents or skin damage.
For example, the Bare Balm cream with Big Balls Formula has an interesting technique for sack hair removal. It’s called the “Nutshell Method”. I tried this method and found it so beneficial.
Worry not I have added it to this guide.
This step is super crucial. I can’t emphasize this enough.
It’s simply testing the formula on a small area of your body before applying it directly on your
boys. Your skin might show an allergic reaction to the formula or a single component in it. That’s why you should take this step seriously as you could avoid a bigger issue.
This how you can do it:
- Choose a part of your body that has similar hair thickness and skin sensitivity to your nether region. The underarm is my area of choice as the skin there resembles the skin structure of your scrotum skin. You can also test it on your leg or arm. It’s totally up to you. Yet, it’s recommended to be a visible spot that you can see in the mirror.
- Dispense a small, even amount of the product. Then use your finger or the included applicator to spread the cream on your targeted zone. Spread, don’t rub.
- Wait for the recommended application time. Then, wipe away the cream with a wet washcloth.
- Wash your hands and rinse the selected area with lukewarm water.
- Wait for 24 hours. Please, be patient.
- Check the selected area in the mirror and feel it with your hands. Make sure there are no redness, blisters, skin rash, or any adverse events. Touch it to check if it hurts or you feel uncomfortable.
Congratulations! Your formula passed the test. Let’s move to real work.
The method before means that you need your sack to be tight and your nuts are hugging the shaft before you depilate your junk.
You can induce this action by hobbing into the shower and smoothly exfoliate your testicles.
This technique works because simply your skin is on defense and there’s less surface area.
If you have a thick bush down there, use a pubic hair trimmer or scissors to tame it. The Meridian trimmer or Philips Norelco BG7030 /49 trimmer are my go-to manscaping tools for this task. The suggested hair length is between stubble and a quarter inch.
I wrote a full article explaining why I recommend the trimmer by Meridian . Go check it.
As a rule of thumb, male pubic hair removal cream efficacy depends on hair thickness.
Short pubic hair makes it more effective and faster to bare your pairs. This also means you will need less amount of the cream and fewer times to repeat the ritual. As a result, the chances you get burnt or have irritated skin are WAY less.
The same rule applies when you use wax.
5.Get yourself some lotion.
Apply any hydrating lotion for 3 to 4 minutes before committing to use the hair remover. It helps with moisturizing your skin and mitigates the aggressiveness of the depilatory. I used “Aloe and Lanolin” for this step.
6. Spread, don’t rub it in.
Scoop up a small amount of the cream ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.) with your thumb and knuckle. Spread the cream on your sack like icing a cake. Be patient and go slowly. PLEASE, DON’T RUB.
The area where the shaft meets the balls must be your last place to hit up.
Watch out for your legs not to touch the hair remover, unless you like getting bald spots on them.
7.Wipe away and again don’t rub.
Wipe away the cream from a small area with a damp washcloth, not a plastic spatula, and check if the hair has come off or not.
If not, wait for the recommended time and get rid of the cream. Wipe it away in the opposite direction of your hair growth ( against the grain ). Don’t exceed the recommended time.
Don’t re-apply the men’s depilatory, if there’s some remaining stubble. Remember, you have to wait 72 hours between applications.
Wash your hands and rinse your private area with cold water. If there’s some lingering cream, take a cold shower. Avoid stretching your sack under the cold water. Also, don’t use soap as it would irritate your skin and increase the chemical burn risk.
Pat dry your franks and beans and abracadabra, you have squeaky clean balls that will last for one to two weeks.
8.Reapply the lotion
Remember the lotion you used in the fifth step? Repeat the procedure to re-hydrate your sensitive area and soothe your skin with a refreshing, cool sensation.
9.Powder time (optional)
Getting silky smooth balls has its disadvantages. If you suffer from chafing in your groin area, you get what I mean well.
Using some powder will keep your balls dry and prevent sweat, itch, and swamp crotch. This also will save you from these embarrassing moments when you need to scratch your boys in public.
Avoid the baby powder on your balls as there are rising concerns about the carcinogenicity of talc.
Best hair removal cream for male private parts
As Nair is harsh on your genital area, we are going to discover the best alternatives to get smooth skin with minimal risk.
Okay. Forget all of what I’ve said about how removal creams work. This is a revolutionary product that takes your manscaping to a whole new level.
Imagine that you have no hair on your balls. You don’t have to deal with the nicks or razor burn of traditional shaving. Or the chemical burn of hair removal creams. Or even the long boring sessions of laser hair removal. What a gift!
Keramene reduces the density of pubic hair ( and other body hair). It is considered an alternative to electrolysis. This is super beneficial especially if you have coarse hair down there or rapid hair growth. You will need depilation or shaving wayyy less.
The body hair minimizer works by inhibiting the construction step of the hair follicles (anagen phase). It also induces the hair biological deconstruction step. This stops the process of keratin formation.
As a result, the existing hair grows thinner and slower. Some of the new hairs will never grow and the rest of them will grow slowly with a fine texture. This reduces your shaving/depilation frequency remarkably.
A clinical study proved that Keramene reduced hair density by 38% in 28 days.
This hair minimizer from DS Laboratories features an exclusively natural formula.
Here’s a list of Keramene’s ingredients and a simplified explanation of their roles.
- Dormin Extract ( decreases the hair shaft elongation by 34%)
- Palmatine Extract ( suppresses the keratin production)
- Telocapil (prevents stimuli that start follicular growth during the construction step)
- Larrea Divaricata ( A topical hair retardant with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions)
- Hamamelis Virginiana (witch hazel). This reduces the irritation, relieves inflammation, and prevents ingrown hair.
The body hair removal also contains vitamin E to provide protection and hydration to your skin.
What sets this hair remover apart from other contenders is how these components are delivered. It boasts an advanced, unique technology called Nansome Delivery System.
This technology implies the encapsulation of the active ingredients in nano-sized shells. So they can penetrate the skin deeply. This makes it more effective with continuous release and much faster.
Finally, it’s advisable to use the cream twice daily. For quicker results, shave or wax before the first application. The package lasts for one month to three months.
This product perfectly goes along with men’s hair removal cream to achieve mind-blowing results.
- Reduce the hair density and decrease the frequency of shaving or depilation.
- The hair is thinner and finer.
- A natural formula that is safe on balls.
- Skin hydration
- Prevent ingrown hair.
- High efficacy with quick results and extended-release.
- Echo-friendly with Oxo-biodegradable packaging.
- You need to use the cream continuously to maintain the hair-free skin
As far as I know, this is the only hair removal cream designed mainly for testicles. No, Nad’s for men hair removal cream is not engineered for your pubes as the name suggests. Nad’s performs well on back and chest hair. But it’s also a tad harsh on balls.
Although the Bare Balm has calcium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide, it is way smoother than Nair. If you checked its ingredients label, you’ll notice the words “plant-derived” are almost beside every component. So, most of the ingredients come from natural origin.
It features a myriad of hydrating agents like petrolatum oil, Panax ginseng root extract, glycerin, aqua, and Cetearyl alcohol. These elements work as emollients to add moisture to your scrotum skin.
Other components work as anti-inflammatories such as wild thymus and vanilla beans to alleviate the irritation and cool down any scorched area
The main active ingredient is calcium thioglycolate, not sodium or potassium. This makes the Bare Balm cream more smoother on your tender bits.
The formula is perfect, mild, and harmonious. It takes about 12 to 15 minutes to remove the pubic hair. This is another good indicator that the formula is sensitive-skin friendly. Yet, it also means it’s not suitable for men with coarse hair.
Another gripe is the thick texture of the cream. There would be always remaining cream if you used a towel to wipe it away. So it’s better to take a shower right after the ritual.
- Very gentle formula
- Most ingredients are natural
- Designed exclusively for nuts.
- Not suitable for thick hair down there.
- Not the best choice for back and chest hair.
- Thick consistency
This is the perfect solution if you have very sensitive skin.
Aobbiy Men’s manscaping cream features a unique formula that is rich in plant extracts.
The ingredients include many emollients like glycerin (baby oil) aloe vera extract, squalene, vitamin E acetate. These agents ensure that you don’t get chemically burnt and reduce the risk of rashes and blisters.
All these ingredients are extracted from plants such as sassafras, sephora, wolfberry, and aloe vera leaves. So it’s super safe to use on your groin to get smooth skin for an extended time.
Its application time is 10 minutes. Besides, the manufacturer recommends applying a hot towel to the targeted area prior to usage. This will open up the pores for faster action.
Although this formula outperforms Bare Balls on dense hair, it’s not the perfect choice.
My only pet peeve is that the product smells bad when applied. It has a rotten egg odor like Nair.
- Almost Natural formula
- Safe on male private parts
- Minimal risk of chemical burn
- Strong chemical odor.
- Not suitable for high-density hair.
This strong yet delicate formula is the best choice for men with thick bush and stubborn hair down there.
It’s made for the bikini line, yet it is great for scrotal hair removal also.
Veet is less aggressive and causative than Nair. Although it has the potassium version of thioglycolate, it has only one alkaline base (Calcium Hydroxide), unlike Nair.
It also has lower pH (12.4-12.6) compared to Nair’s pH ( 12.3-12.9). Combine this with the gentle formula that is full of hydrating agents. That’s why Veet is milder than Nair.
Thanks to aloe vera and vitamin E, Veet leaves your skin moisturized and hydrated.
You need to leave it 5-10 minutes before wiping it away. Remember, don’t use the included spatula in this step.
You can also use Veet effectively on your arms, chest, gooch, armpits, legs, and back.
However, there is still a potential risk of getting a chemical burn. So, you need to be extremely cautious.
- Efficient on stubborn hair.
- Less aggressive than Nair.
- Delightful fragrance for an indulging experience.
- Harsher than the two previous products.
- AVON Fresh & Smooth Hair Removal Cream Sensitive Skin: It has a great mil formula that’s perfect for facial hair removal. Yet, it leaves a little stubble and skips some spots causing hairy patches.
- Softsheen-Carson Magic Razorless Shaving Cream for Men/ Magic powder: Great product for African American males with curly hair, Yet it is aggressive on private areas with a high chance of chemical burn and blemishes.
Alternative methods to pubic hair removal
Chemical hair removers give you smoother skin for a longer time with no ingrown hair, razor burn, or cuts. They also reduce the frequency of shaving . Yet, depilatories come with their risks. You have a higher chance of getting a serious chemical burn with superficial pain that lasts for days.
Check these methods if you don’t like the chemical depilatory solutions
Shaving or trimming
You can have shaved or trimmed balls with minimal risk of cuts using the right manscaping tools and the perfect technique. It’s also considered safer than chemical depilatories. Choosing to shave over acid was a no-brainer for me,
Epilation means removing the hair from its roots. So, your smooth balls would stay clean for a way longer time compared to the depilatory agents.
This method includes many techniques like plucking with tweezers, epilators, waxing, threading, sugaring, electrolysis, and lasers.
- Waxing and sugaring: They give you long-lasting results, but they’re extremely painful.
- Electrolysis and laser hair removal: You get great, permanent results, yet they would cost you a pretty penny with multiple sessions to reach your goal. There’s also a risk for skin hyperpigmentation and irritation.
Pubic hair removal creams can be your ticket to go from the rainforest to the desert down there. Yet, using Nair on balls is not the perfect choice to complete this mission safely. Opt for more gentle formulas.
Don’t forget that each male depilatory cream can cause a chemical burn. Your goal is to decimate hair, not your skin. So, please choose wisely.